This week’s readings include a detailed investor update from Scottish Oriental, an interview with Kyle Bass of Hayman Capital Management and a wide-ranging conversation with Warren Buffett and Bill Gates at Columbia University.
- Investor note: Scottish Oriental’s semi-annual letter. Update on current thoughts and views, insights about existing holdings and changes to the portfolio.
- Short China, Long Russia a “good place to start”: Kyle Bass discusses (amongst other things) President Trump’s tax proposals and U.S. trade relations with China.
- Did Kahneman and Tversky change the world?: John Kay reviews The Undoing Project, Michael Lewis’s new book about the evolution of behavioral economics.
- Town hall with Buffett and Gates: A wide-ranging conversation between Warren Buffett and Bill Gates, moderated by Charlie Rose. Link to the full video is in the article.
- How social cash made WeChat the app for everything: How a centuries-old tradition (gifting red envelopes) gave rise to China’s most valuable company.