This week’s readings include SIHL’s 2016 annual report, Petra Capital’s 4Q 2016 letter to investors, Carrie Lam’s keynote speech at the recently concluded Credit Suisse Asian Investment Conference and an interview with Vanguard’s CEO on the future of investment management. Also, in case you missed it, see my write-up of Cheah Cheng Hye’s recent talk at a Star Media event in Malaysia.
- Annual report 2016: Full year update from Symphony International Holdings. Includes detailed commentary on their portfolio as well as thoughts on narrowing the discount to NAV.
- 4Q investor letter: Petra Capital’s commentary on the Korean market and an update on current portfolio positions including Hankook Tire, Kumho Petrochemical and Soulbrain.
- AIC 2017 keynote speech: Carrie Lam, Hong Kong’s chief executive-designate, discusses her vision of a better future for Hong Kong.
- Vanguard’s CEO on the future of investment management: Bill McNabb discusses the change in the economics of the industry and the outlook for active management.
- The temptations of a resilient China: Stephen Roach on why China should resist the temptations of global power projection and stay focused on executing its domestic strategy.