This week’s readings / links include a look at corporate funding for the Nutrition Society of Malaysia, Raghuram Rajan on central banks’ year of reckoning, thoughts on debt-trap diplomacy, inside China’s vast new experiment in social ranking and a conversation with Charlie Munger. Merry Christmas!
- In Asia’s fattest country, nutritionists take money from food giants: When the food industry funds nutritionists, critics say it subverts science to preserve its market.
- Central banks’ year of reckoning: Now that the period of monetary exceptionalism seems to be coming to an end, central bankers must soberly assess their own record.
- Sri Lanka the latest victim of China’s debt-trap diplomacy: Beijing has been given a 99-year lease on Hambantota port as part of a debt-reduction deal.
- Inside China’s vast new experiment in social ranking: The age of social credit.
- Charlie Munger at the University of Michigan: A wide-ranging conversation with the vice-chairman of Berkshire Hathaway.