This week’s readings include the fourth quarter report from Claire Barnes of the Apollo Asia Fund, thoughts on global cyber warfare from Glenn Solomon of GGV Capital and highlights from Michael McGaughy’s recent investment trip to Taiwan.
- Company management and the unforeseen: Claire Barnes on the fund’s results for 2016. Includes updates on Phua Nuan Jewelry, Vard Holdings, Daibochi and Pure Circle.
- The coming global cyber war: Glenn Solomon believes we will see increased cyber warfare starting 2017. He outlines some of the challenges in fighting a global cyber war and explains how GGV Capital is investing in this theme.
- Cracking the currency code: Aswath Damodaran looks at how currency choices play out in valuation and where the numbers stand at the start of 2017.
- Why is it so hard to forecast the future?: Tren Griffin argues that we live in a world where people are increasingly encountering non-linear (vs. linear) change.
- Taiwan trip report: Michael McGaughy discusses his recent investment trip to Taiwan and the importance of looking for opportunities where others don’t.